Thursday, December 07, 2006

Tiresome month

Hey guys!
After I've finished my exams and such (somewhere middle of November), I started working again at the university and boy was it hectic (and still is).

I mean I work from 8:00 - 16:30 every day and when I get home, I'm so tired I just fall asleep on my bed. Fortunately I didn't have to work like that the whole year, my employer was kind enough to let me come in once a week (and not even a full day's work) so that I could finish my courses (obviously with a huge pay reduction for a huge reduction in working hours). The thing is, it wasn't like that in the beginning but things just got so bad (as in too much to handle) that I decided to quit (along with the other Honors students who worked with me) but it was a few weeks until they wanted me back.
You would think that ordinary IT work (not in the main IT department but in one of the smaller departments) is a mental work out, but where I work, I think I've done more exercise in 2 weeks than the whole year! Man, all those computer labs and office computers being upgraded where boxes had to be carried around, tables, cupboards, chairs (many!), etc. it was really physically tiresome and that was without the administration, reception duty and my assigned IT work.

Anyway, I didn't write to look for sympathy
, just to let you guys know why I am so busy.

In a way I feel good about it because it gives a sense of accomplishment and lets you feel as if you gave something back, you know? I guess it depends how you look at it. Those who are in for the money, would have been hugely disappointed in my work because an assistant's pay isn't like the payment you would expect in the corporate/commercial world with the kind of work that you do here. I did it for an income and for experience. I feel like I've made a contribution there and I am not disappointed that I've worked there either.

No comments: