Wednesday, January 24, 2007

God's name in vain

Oh I am so tired of hearing people using God's name in vain!

Ever since I started working at a new company, I heard A LOT of people saying phrases like (and it pains me to say it :( ): "Oh my God!", "Jesus Christ!", etc. Obviously they're not talking to or even thinking about God but they keep on saying it!

But I don't know what is worse, saying it or just standing there in silence. :(
Yeah, I really want to walk up to a guy and say "Hey! Please stop using God's name in vain!" I know I should and some of them doesn't even know it is wrong because they hear it on TV and then assumes that it is OK to say it. The worst part of all is they aren't "bad" people, they are not rude (except with God's name) and ok they do swear but thats it. They don't try to make enemies or try to be nasty or anything like that. They are nice people its just the problem with God's name that I'm having trouble with.

To tell you the truth, I am mostly afraid to tell them not to say it. I rather sit with pain in my heart than confronting people (been doing it for years too). I did once confront someone with Jesus's help (somewhere last year), but I don't know why I cannot do the same now.
So I ask for help, if you sit in this situation and know how to deal with it (especially if a group of people are present) please tell me too! I too want to defend God's Glory! I also humbly ask for people's prayers in this time as this is a big deal to me and I believe it should be a big deal to everyone! God said in Exodus 20:7 (NIV translation) which is "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."
And James4:17 says (also NIV) "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." So by not telling them that they are doing wrong, I am sinning!
I pray about this almost every night before I go to bed, I just really cannot stand this anymore. I just want to act out of love, etc. before I act out of rage/hate.

So before telling me how bad I am for not confronting them about it, you should consider whether you are confronting them. If you do, then you may tell me that I'm this or that. But in the end, what will it help?! I've been doing it to myself for years and it just didn't make things better but worse. Look, I'm not expecting you to talk good about me either!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope you would consider the situation with me to see how serious this actually is.

Amen.

2 comments:

Chuck said...

I think the fact that you are bothered by it is a good sign since many Christians are not. I even hear some Christians blaspheming God's name, but in a more "acceptable" way. (OMG, "Dear Lord", etc.)

I really don't know what to tell you. I have cleared my throat before and sometimes people will get the hint. But it really is hard to say what the appropriate action is.

Dandré said...

Hey Chuck

I while back, I was very upset with how people would casually say that but one day I just prayed for the opportunity for those 2 people to be alone in the office, and then a couple of weeks went by and the opportunity came.
I was scared stiff, I immediately remembered that prayer as if the Holy Spirit called it to remembrance. I confessed to the Lord that I didn't really want to do it. Then as I was praying I asked myself, "Why do I care so much about what they think?"
Then I remembered a teaching from someone who said that I don't need their approval, even though I want it.
Then I just prayed for God's Grace, I tried resting in Christ and all of a sudden I felt my heart filled with something (through the Spirit) and I turned to them and these words just flowed out:
"Hey guys can I talk to you for a minute. Over the past couple of months I've been hearing how you have used God's name in vain like: Oh my god, etc. could I please ask you to refrain from saying it, not only for my sake but for His because it is really bothering me."

To my amazement, they just shook their heads and said: "Ok".
I was so amazed at how God was able to use me in that situation. And now so far they haven't used God's name openly again (as far as I know). What an awesome God we have!