Friday, January 19, 2007

Flash Player 9 for Linux

I've read on DesktopLinux.com that Adobe has finally released Flash Player 9 for Linux users that is apparently faster than the windows counterpart due to better usage of memory and of better synchronization of video and audio.

According to Adobe you need (minimum for Linux) an 800MHz PC, 512 MB of RAM, 128MB of graphics memory and the ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) compatible audio hardware to run FP9. This sounds a bit overkill compared to 450 MHz PC with 128 MB RAM Windows Requirements. I guess its because it makes better utilization of Linux to play back faster or something. Don't quote me on that! ;)

Fortunately this works on our favorite browser Firefox ;) and on other GTK based ones. Apparently it won't work on KDE's Konqueror. Well it doesn't bother me since I use Firefox everywhere I go.

I have not downloaded and installed this as yet, I still have to sort out Linux on my home PC before I go any further.

You can find out more about this at the following sites:
Flash Player 9 for Linux arrives, looks great - DesktopLinux.com
Adobe Flash Player 9 Release Notes

You can also get FP9 here

No comments: